Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Biking on Ice


     This post isn't about my bicycle adventures, but about the bicycle adventures of the superhero in my life, my husband. He's been biking to work every day this year, despite very cold temperatures. He loves bicycling. Commuting by bicycle allows him to be outdoors and adventuresome even though he's only going to and from downtown Chicago. He's inspired me to keep on riding my bicycle this winter.
     He took this photo of himself a few weeks ago, before the lakefront path between Navy Pier and Fullerton was closed down. It's a magical photo, with the colored lights of Navy Pier in the background. It might be hard to tell, but he and his Oma dutch bike (yes, we have the same bike), are standing on a solid sheet of ice. The waves crash up onto the path and then freeze. He's able to ride on ice with the aid of studded tires. I have no doubt that he'll keep riding all winter long. Didn't I say he was a superhero?

7 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

good for him! It's healthy and good for the environment.

Great picture!

Anonymous said...

My partner and I are cycling this winter too.

Does he keep the studded tires on even when there isn't snow cover?

J.Tuttle said...

C.R.Evers- Thanks for the comment. I agree, it's good for him and the environment.
Abram Bergen- Yes, we put them on about a month and a half ago (I have the same studded tires on my Oma) and will leave them on until the winter is over. They are fine for riding on regular pavement as well as ice. They make a little noise, like riding on gravel, but I don't mind it. They don't help getting through snow, though. I believe they are Shcwalbe Marathon Winter tires.

Ms.Ding said...

Truly awesome! While I'm riding with studded tires on my Oma, I don't hit the lakefront trail everyday like your husband does. Certain parts of that trail get really treacherous in the winter time - go Mr. Superhero!

Sue said...

Very admirable. Nice post - if it wasn't for my husband, I don't I would have ever picked up a bike.

J.Tuttle said...

Ms.Ding- He's not riding it at the moment because even with studded tires it is too difficult. Plus the city cordoned it off with police tape. I think I'll call him Mr.Superhero now, though.

SM-Thanks for the compliment. Obviously our husbands are good influences on us!

Dottie said...

Yay, Dan! I haven't been out to the lakefront trail since the first snow, but I heard it's much worse than usual this year.