Saturday, November 27, 2010

Fabulous Carrot Cake

     I hope everybody have a wonderful thanksgiving. Our thanksgiving involved a smoked turkey and all the traditional trimmings. It was my job to provide a dessert and I chose to make a carrot cake. This is an old recipe,  given to me by a college roommate twenty years ago and it is still the best carrot cake I have ever eaten. It’s super easy to make, too!


Best Carrot Cake Recipe
1/2 cup Oil
2 cups Sugar
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
3 Eggs
2 cups Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
2 Teaspoons Salt
2 cups shredded Carrots
2 cups Walnuts (optional)
1 cup crushed Pineapple plus the Juice! (obviously from a can)

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.

Frosting (Very Important Part)
8 Oz. Cream Cheese
4 Tablespoons butter
3 cups Powdered Sugar
2 Teaspoons Vanilla

      I decorated it with a little cake decorating set that I purchased at whole foods along with some natural food coloring. Being all natural, the food coloring never did reach the bright green color I was looking for, despite my dumping almost the whole bottle in the frosting. I used very thinly sliced carrots on top and added some amaretto soaked cherries for a pop of color. The cherries turned out to taste great with the carrot cake. I feel like it has a sort of baroque look to it. Did anyone else bake something fabulous?

3 comments:

Daniel said...

My wife just made this cake and it was delicious!

Dan.

Dottie said...

Mmmm, looks great! I've never tried to make carrot cake before, even though it's one of my favorite flavors. Maybe I'll try this recipe on day. For Thanksgiving I baked an apple pie. The crust was a little too thick, but that's easy to fix for next time.

Louise said...

Looks yummy!